Friday, September 14, 2012

48 by 60 Sycamore Process: Under Painting

Tonal under layer

Detail of tonal under layer

Tree and sky under painting
Starting with Burnt Sienna, Van dyke Brown & Raw Umber on my palette, I worked over the graphite sketch creating a tonal layer.  At this point I am using straight refined linseed oil as my medium.  I have used straight Turpinoid as a medium for this primary layer in the past, but after reading Sadie Valeri's blog it seems it's better used for cleaning brushes than as a straight medium.  By the way, I've never met Sadie, I found her painting school/studio site while surfing for techniques.  Ah, the magic of the internet.  The sky is Ultramarine Blue.  Not really tonal, maybe a little Pop Art like.  Chalk it up to "artist license".

I can't say that this is how I approach all paintings.  I seem hardwired to what a former professor called a "global thinker".  Reading between the lines; I'm messy and often take different routes to get the same means.  Takes all kinds to make the world go around.  Paint on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Aspens

Squeezing in a post for 2021!  As not illustrated on this blog, it was truly a productive year for creating new pieces. In between landscape...